Camera Calibration on SmartPhones

paul.ikhane
I consider myself still new to OpenCV. I am learning it on my own and intend to use it to for a project. I am a bit confused on camera calibration and how well I can I use for a commercial mobile app.

 What I am really confused about is; if I calibrate an iPhone, say iPhone 6 or 7 during development of the application, can I use the calibrated result in the application that will downloaded into other iPhone brands like iPhone 8, 10 etc. Will the result be accurate?

 Thanks for your help in enlightening me.

Re: Camera Calibration on SmartPhones

Frank Lamosa
Every camera needs to be calibrated to account for misalignment between
the sensor and optics and for variations in the camera optics.

Unfortunately, there is no way around the calibration for each
individual camera.

On 2018-12-31 06:07, [hidden email] [OpenCV] wrote:

> I consider myself still new to OpenCV. I am learning it on my own and
> intend to use it to for a project. I am a bit confused on camera
> calibration and how well I can I use for a commercial mobile app.
>

> What I am really confused about is; if I calibrate an iPhone, say
> iPhone 6 or 7 during development of the application, can I use the
> calibrated result in the application that will downloaded into other
> iPhone brands like iPhone 8, 10 etc. Will the result be accurate?
>

> Thanks for your help in enlightening me.

Re: Camera Calibration on SmartPhones

kaolin
Depending on your accuracy needs, I’ve found iPhones within a class to be fairly similar.

-kaolin
-http://erif.org/

paul.ikhane
Hi, Thank you so much for the response. I am not sure now, but the accuracy needs will be around 0.5inch. Do you think that will work? Thanks again and wishing you a Happy New Year ahead.

Re: Camera Calibration on SmartPhones

kaolin
Half inch at what depth? As a high-water mark you’ll probably not do better whatever ARKit gets you.... (sorry, I don’t have better numbers at hand)

-kaolin
-http://erif.org/

> On Dec 31, 2018, at 11:46, [hidden email] [OpenCV] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi, Thank you so much for the response. I am not sure now, but the accuracy needs will be around 0.5inch. Do you think that will work? Thanks again and wishing you a Happy New Year ahead.

Re: Camera Calibration on SmartPhones

Bob Davies
At what distance do you want 0.5 inch accuracy?