Quantcast

Generating depth maps

James-3
Hello,

New to openCV and have been working with version 2.4.3.  I need to create image depth maps similar (actually the same) to the ones used in the University of Texas project at

http://live.ece.utexas.edu/research/texas3dfr/

I noticed that some of the functions in the Camera Calibration and 3D Reconstruction have been removed since version 2.0. Specifically cvFindStereoCorrespondenceGC which was reported as having very good results is no longer there.

My question is which of the remaining functions in version 2.4.3 produces the most accurate and or detailed range image?

Thank you,
Jim

Re: Generating depth maps

Bob Davies
Jim - it sounds like you might be off on the wrong foot.  Rather than try
to build a depth image from stereo pictures (a challenging proposition) why
not just get one of the cameras that return a depth image.  The Kinect
camera is popular but not appropriate for this task - you have to be over 3
feet away to get depth.  But the recently announced camera from Intel
(produced by Creative Labs) will get depth maps as close as 6 inches from
the camera.  The camera is available here:

*http://tinyurl.com/bya62av*

And there is a free SDK on that same page (useful only with the new camera.)

Bob Davies

Full disclosure: I work for Intel...

Re: Generating depth maps

RobTow
I looked at the Intel SDK; it's too bad it's Microsoft centric - a Linux implementation would be nice, and would be a goodly complement to the Open Kinect project.

Re: Generating depth maps

David Jones
I have a similar problem. I want to generate a depth map from a point
cloud, and a point cloud from a depth map, given the camera's intrinsic
calibration. Anyone know of a simple way to do this?

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Rob Tow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
>

> I looked at the Intel SDK; it's too bad it's Microsoft centric - a Linux
> implementation would be nice, and would be a goodly complement to the Open
> Kinect project.

Re: Generating depth maps

Bob Davies
Rob - I will pass along your comments.

Re: Generating depth maps

Jose Miranda
Definitely, you are right Rob. Let's wait if Intel delivers an Unix version. I work with Mac.
Jose.

Re: Generating depth maps

Bob Davies
David - the Intel camera (manufactured by Creative Labs) has to option to
return a depth map or vertices.  If you download the SDK (free), look at
the sdkmanual-core.pdf in the docs directory, the PXCImage::ColorFormat.

Bob Davies