Help for an exam: separate touching objects

Help for an exam: separate touching objects

yelo_3
Hello, I'm trying to pass an exam, and I have to do a project. It's
basically finished except a feature:
I have to process images with objects that touch other objects. How
can I separate them? I tried to use the cvErode function with a 2x2
element, but it's not enough.
If I try to use bigger elements or multiple erosions, the 2 objects
get separated, but unfortunately some parts of the objects will vanish.
Is there a way to reconstruct them? or is there a smarter way to
separate touching objects?

you can download images here:
http://didattica.arces.unibo.it/file.php/59/Elaborazione_dellImmagine_L-S/Tesine/immaginitesina.zip

the filenames are TESI50.BMP and TESI51.BMP

Thank you for your help.

Nicolò Chieffo