Integration of Gstreamer with Opencv code

Integration of Gstreamer with Opencv code

avadhut chaudhari
Hello All,
  I am working on Image processing part on ARM platform. The Webcam streaming is very slow. I read that We can resolve this problem using gtreamer. Is anybody know how to integrate Gstreamer with Opencv ? Please share your thoughts and links. Thanks.

Thanks & Regards,
Avadhut
" The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

Re: Integration of Gstreamer with Opencv code

webercalixto
Hi,

I'm currently usign gstream + named pipe, so opencv reads from a 'fifo' file where gstreamer writes from a mjpeg ip camera.

This link might be useful for you:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6022423/mjpeg-streaming-and-decoding

--- In [hidden email], avadhut chaudhari <avadhut_chaudhari@...> wrote:

> Hello All,
>   I am working on Image processing part on ARM platform. The Webcam streaming is very slow. I read that We can resolve this problem using gtreamer. Is anybody know how to integrate Gstreamer with Opencv ? Please share your thoughts and links. Thanks.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Avadhut
> " The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

Re: Integration of Gstreamer with Opencv code

avadhut chaudhari
Thanks a lot !!!
Really Helpful Information.. Do you have any idea about Webcam? What changes I need to make for Webcam and gstreamer combination ?

________________________________
I'm currently usign gstream + named pipe, so opencv reads from a 'fifo' file where gstreamer writes from a mjpeg ip camera.

This link might be useful for you:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6022423/mjpeg-streaming-and-decoding

--- In [hidden email], avadhut chaudhari <avadhut_chaudhari@...> wrote:

> Hello All,
>   I am working on Image processing part on ARM platform. The Webcam streaming is very slow. I read that We can resolve this problem using gtreamer. Is anybody know how to integrate Gstreamer with Opencv ? Please share your thoughts and links. Thanks.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Avadhut
> " The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

Re: Integration of Gstreamer with Opencv code

wl2776
Administrator
GStreamer has OpenCV plugins, google for "gstreamer opencv"

Re: Integration of Gstreamer with Opencv code

wl2776
Administrator
wl2776 wrote
GStreamer has OpenCV plugins, google for "gstreamer opencv"
http://blog.mikeasoft.com/2010/06/17/gstreamer-opencv-plugins-on-the-nokia-n900/

Re: Integration of Gstreamer with Opencv code

webercalixto
I have no ideas about implementing webcams with gstreamer, I usually work
with IP cameras.

Actually I've found gstreamer really slow for my needs (read simultaneously
2 HD IP cameras), so I'm working on other solution that uses curl + libjpeg.

http://www.eecs.ucf.edu/~rpatrick/code/onelinksys.c

It's kind of a 'voodoo' code, but for my case it runs considerably faster.

Weber de Souza Calixto

Re: Integration of Gstreamer with Opencv code

Florian Jung
Am 18.01.2012 05:56, schrieb avadhut chaudhari:
> Thanks a lot !!!
> Really Helpful Information.. Do you have any idea about Webcam? What
> changes I need to make for Webcam and gstreamer combination ?
this patch i wrote some time ago might help:

Hi

i haven't found any better place for this on the OpenCV homepage, so i'm
posting this to the list. if there is a more appropriate place, please
tell me.

as i was experiencing problems with the V4L2 backend for my USB webcam
(couldn't grab a frame), i changed the gstreamer backend to support
webcams and compiled without v4l2 support. i also fixed some bugs (at
least they appeared to me like that: i have no experience with gstreamer
at all, but stuff didn't work and now it works ;) ).

i've attached the patch for openCV 2.3.0
i'd be glad if you would integrate this patch into the main openCV
development line, and also to get some feedback from you

My changes are:

    * add support for V4L2 (not for V4L) webcams in the gstreamer backend
    * bugfix: the GstCaps* caps is expected to be NULL when unallocated,
      but wasn't. now it's inited to NULL
    * bugfix: when changing caps, caps must be made writable (that is,
      *caps is copied, changed, caps becomes the pointer to the newly
      allocated struct, the old is unneeded and gets unreferenced),
      otherwise changes don't take effect
    * bugfix: when changing caps, disconnecting and reconnection with
      filtered caps only works once. when disconnecting again, this
      (silently :( ) fails, because internally, there is a GstCapsFilter
      inserted, which confuses unlink; i've changed the code so there is
      a dedicated, explicit GstCapsFilter which can be changed during
      runtime

i'd be glad if you could add a hint to the head of the source file
(below the "Author: Nils Hasler"), saying that i (Florian Jung) added
support for V4L2 devices and fixed some bugs

again: if this is not the appropriate place, please tell me.
if you have accepted or rejected the patch, please also tell me.
(and leave the subject intact, my email filter uses the subject ;) )

greetings
flo

Attachment(s) from Florian Jung

1 of 1 File(s)

opencv230.patch
<http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1986690/1014822208/name/opencv230%2Epatch>
<mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Re%3A%20patch%20adding%20webcam%20support%20to%20gstreamer%20backend>