Quantcast

OpenCV 2.3.1 cannot change camera resolution

OpenCV 2.3.1 cannot change camera resolution

goodgulf01
I know that this has been a problem in the past and I have looked at all the answers and want to know if there is any point to trying to get this to work using opencv or should I try to integrate another library to get this working.  I need to change resolutions from live video (would like to make it a little higher then 640x480) to the 5mp that the camera can do to take a still shot (C910)

I am using Ubuntu 11.04, OpenCV 2.3.1 (tried 2.2), ffmpeg, libv4l - confirmed recompiled OpenCV.. C910 Camera

IplImage *frame;
CvCapture *camera = cvCreateCameraCapture(-1);
cvSetCaptureProperty(camera, CV_CAP_PROP_FRAME_WIDTH, 800);
cvSetCaptureProperty(camera, CV_CAP_PROP_FRAME_HEIGHT,600);

frame = cvQueryFrame(camera);

printf("camera: %f x %f\n", cvGetCaptureProperty(camera, CV_CAP_PROP_FRAME_WIDTH),cvGetCaptureProperty(camera, CV_CAP_PROP_FRAME_HEIGHT)

no matter what I try to change it to I get 640x480.  when I use cheese or guvcview I can change resolutions no problem.

I have verified that the resolutions are supported simply by what I can change them to in the above working programs and what is reported on the terminal window  of guvcview.

Any help would be appreciated.  I have spent several days on recompiling and trying every suggestion I can find to no avail.  I am hopping it is a simple thing that I have just overlooked since I am way too close to this now... and fresh suggestions might get point me in the correct direction.

Thanx

Re: OpenCV 2.3.1 cannot change camera resolution

osmaneralp-2

> I know that this has been a problem in the past ...

I believe this was a problem with versions of v4l prior to 0.8.4. v4l could not handle the vast number of frame sizes available with new webcams such as the C910. I have that same model. I used the get this error:

$ ./my_webcam_program
libv4lconvert: warning more framesizes then I can handle!

The problem was resolved when I installed the latest v4l, which is now up to version 0.8.5. Is this the same problem you have?

Osman
ozbots.org

Re: OpenCV 2.3.1 cannot change camera resolution

goodgulf01
No I do not get that message, I get nothing, that is the frustrating part, it just ignores the command.

I am currently using version 0.8.5 - I have started another project that I have managed to get the camera to change resolutions, but it will not do the resolution I ask for.  It seems that it will do a lesser resolution then asked for.  It is not the next lowest one, but a couple away.  I find this odd.

I am guessing my issue is which libraries my program is using since my first program will not change resolutions, but my newer one will, just not the resolution I ask for, but it does change it.

Thank you for your help

--- In [hidden email], "osmaneralp" <oz@...> wrote:

> > I know that this has been a problem in the past ...
>
> I believe this was a problem with versions of v4l prior to 0.8.4. v4l could not handle the vast number of frame sizes available with new webcams such as the C910. I have that same model. I used the get this error:
>
> $ ./my_webcam_program
> libv4lconvert: warning more framesizes then I can handle!
>
> The problem was resolved when I installed the latest v4l, which is now up to version 0.8.5. Is this the same problem you have?
>
> Osman
> --
> ozbots.org

Re: OpenCV 2.3.1 cannot change camera resolution

shiftux
I'm still having the same problem and could not find a solution...
has anyone got news in the meantime?
might it be a problem with opencv 2.3?
thanx