SURF protected by patent!?

12

Re: Re: SURF protected by patent!?

Samuel Audet
hyblade wrote:
> Ok, so OpenCV is OpenSource but the sources aren't neccessarily patent-free. I think that is a fact that one has to know. I'd appreciate it too if the functions that are under a software patent would be marked in the documentary.
>
>> People adding code to OpenCV do not _use_ OpenCV to make money so
>> [...]
>
> I think that is not true at all, OpenCV is a library which is definetly used in commercial environments, which by the way proofs it's good quality an acceptance. I know of severeal "small" companies or developers that use at least parts of the OpenCV library especially the camera calibration part.

Yes, I agree.. OpenCV should come with a list of which functionality is
covered by patents. Easy enough to add, we just need to figure out what
is effectively patented or not. Not sure who would take the
responsibility of this though... submarine patents...

Samuel

Re: Re: SURF protected by patent!?

dangrsmind
Yes some of us on thlist hope to use OpenCV for more than just protyping and demonstrations.  Also, it is not true that only a for profit corporation can be sued for patent infringement.

A list of patented functions (I knew about the face detector for example) would be useful.  The list should include the patent number and issuing office (USPTO, EPTO, etc.).  It might also be useful to list related/relevant patent applications.  Although these can not be enforced, patent applications can give an indication of potential trouble ahead and would have been helpful in this case for example.

However what happens as Samuel suggests if this list of patented functions is not accurate and someone gets upset about it?  Is there an attorney on the list that might be able to craft some language to address this issue?

Peter

Re: SURF protected by patent!?

kairitterbusch
the list needs a warning, that it is possibly incomplete and everybody acts on its own responsibility. a native english speaker should work out a nice sentence :)

the list could be created in the wiki, couldnt it?

--- In [hidden email], dangrsmind@... wrote:

> Yes some of us on thlist hope to use OpenCV for more than just protyping and demonstrations.  Also, it is not true that only a for profit corporation can be sued for patent infringement.
>
> A list of patented functions (I knew about the face detector for example) would be useful.  The list should include the patent number and issuing office (USPTO, EPTO, etc.).  It might also be useful to list related/relevant patent applications.  Although these can not be enforced, patent applications can give an indication of potential trouble ahead and would have been helpful in this case for example.
>
> However what happens as Samuel suggests if this list of patented functions is not accurate and someone gets upset about it?  Is there an attorney on the list that might be able to craft some language to address this issue?
>
> Peter

Re: SURF protected by patent!?

therealpixelsumo

> 2. The cascade: We've re-written this again to just use a sequence of generic, tree based boosted classifiers which now can take any kind of feature.
> Does this get around the patent?  I don't know.  But we now have a full machine learning library in OpenCV and the boosting techniques there should outperform the cascade but be slower.

This link
http://rafaelmizrahi.blogspot.com/2007/02/intel-opencv-face-detection-license.html

says:
The face detection method implemented in OpenCV by Rainer Lienhart is very similar to the one published and patented by Paul Viola and Michael Jones

Now if you wanted to make something commercial using the haar detection, would you be able to contact viola & jones to pay a licence if needed? Do they care? How likely is this to be enforced?

I agree that having issues about the patents on the openCV wiki would be a good idea, and what to do if you want to use them commercially.

Best
Chris

12