cvCalcOpticalFlowPyrLK memsets all status to 1?

cvCalcOpticalFlowPyrLK memsets all status to 1?

lindley.french
I noticed that the function cvCalcOpticalFlowPyrLK has a line in it:
memset( status, 1, count );

This doesn't make sense to me. I mean, sure, it makes "status" a
purely output parameter, which may simplify usage slightly. But it
doesn't seem like the best thing to do logically. This is a function
which will be called again and again on every new frame; should it not
be able to keep a memory of which features it has already dropped,
without requiring the user to shuffle the feature array around to
condense it first?