which is better ( OpenCV or Neural Networks ) for Object Detection & Recognition

which is better ( OpenCV or Neural Networks ) for Object Detection & Recognition

csgirl.emam
this is my question ,

Please any one who has papers or theses relatred to this field , help
me ,

thank you

Re: which is better ( OpenCV or Neural Networks ) for Object Detection & Recognition

wl2776
Administrator
You're mixing meters and kilograms.

Neural Network is a mathematical abstraction.

OpenCV is a software library, implementing many many algorithms and mathematical
abstraction, and NN among them.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/  - here you can find many papers about machine learning,
object detection, neural networks, support vector machines, boosting, etc.

There is a survey about various methods of face detection, you can find it with google.

--- In [hidden email], "wl27761" <wl2776@...> wrote:

> You're mixing meters and kilograms.
>
> Neural Network is a mathematical abstraction.
>
> OpenCV is a software library, implementing many many algorithms
and mathematical
> abstraction, and NN among them.
>
> http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/  - here you can find many papers
about machine learning,
> object detection, neural networks, support vector machines,
boosting, etc.

> There is a survey about various methods of face detection, you can
find it with google.

Thank you for replying

I read that we can detect the object using either neural networks or
OpenCV ,

I know that OpenCV is software ,

but I want to know which is better ?

Re: which is better ( OpenCV or Neural Networks ) for Object Detection & Recognition

wl2776
Administrator
> I read that we can detect the object using either neural networks or
> OpenCV ,
>
> I know that OpenCV is software ,
>
> but I want to know which is better ?

Nobody knows until one tries. That depends on your data set.

OpenCV's face detector is much faster than (probably the only) publicly available NN
face detector, developed by H. Rowley ( http://vasc.ri.cmu.edu/NNFaceDetector/ ).

The efficiency of these two implementations was approximately the same, as P. Viola
stated in his works ( http://research.microsoft.com/~viola/ )

However, OpenCV's detector training method is terribly slow and by design produces the
detector giving much false positives.
That is stated in the works by Minh-Tri Pham (http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/home5/pham0004/
pycv/)

http://vision.ai.uiuc.edu/mhyang/face-detection-survey.html - this is a survey, I've finally